Green Card Holders With UK Tax Returns To File

If you are a US green card holder needing to file a UK tax return then be aware that the paper filing deadline is not far away.

The deadline for paper filing your 2010-11 UK Tax Return is midnight on October 31, 2011. Unlike the US system the UK tax return must be with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) by midnight on the deadline date not just posted by that date.

New for this year are increased penalties for late filing. If the return is filed late there will be a minimum penalty of £100 even if you have no tax to pay or pay your tax by the payment date of January 31, 2012. There are further penalties if the return is three, six or 12 months late which in total could add up to £1,600 or more.

If you wish to file electronically to take advantage of the January 31, 2012 e-filing deadline be aware that you cannot use the HMRC on-line Self Assessment return preparation as it does not support non-resident returns. To e-file you will need to use third party software or an accountant with e-file software.

One final thought, make sure that you take advantage of any of the provisions of the US/UK Tax Treaty to make sure that certain types of income do not get taxed twice.

Posted By Mark Smith

Mark Smith, EA is an Enrolled Agent and accountant with over 30 years tax and accounting experience. He is the owner of Cranmere Accounting and Tax Services LLC. He can be contacted on (480) 363-4808 or by email at if you need assistance with any of the above.

Comments are closed.